Going through your Instagram feed and looking at all those pretty pictures will make you excited, wanting to have similar skin for yourself and a bit saddened, thinking it will take a long time and probably cost a fortune to achieve! There are new products and seemingly e never-ending skincare advice coming out all the time! And then there are spa and skin treatments too!
Relax! Do you know that there are some very hygiene level changes in your routine that can make a significant difference to your skin? Read on...
Before going on to create and follow a routine, get the basics out of the way: regularly washing your face, using a suitable moisturizer, and of course a good sunscreen. The next step in your journey will be to understand your skin type, the challenges, what you would prefer. Having spoken with our skincare experts, here are the top 5 no-nonsense health and beauty tips for your skin:
- Eat a healthy diet
Wondering how does this features in healthy skin tips? Well, it’s one of the first things you need to do to feel good and look good. Choose from a good sort of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. Reduce intake of sugar and caffeine. And yes, drink ample amount of water. Don’t overlook your water intake. Helps to stay you hydrated inside and out. Keep a bottle of water handy all the time, especially when you are travelling.
- Manage stress
As they show stress shows on your face quite literally too! Unchecked stress can lead to acne breakouts and other skin issues. While you may not be able to avoid stress but you can always look to manage it in a healthy way! Try and sleep well. With current pandemic and work from home routines you may look to get sleep in your off time to compensate the amount lost during the night! Try and make a work schedule. Compartmentalise, take time off work and d things which make you relax. You would be surprised to ascertain the results.
- Don't smoke
We all have grown up reading and hearing ‘Smoking is injurious to heath’ right? Do you know smoking can make you skin look older and develops wrinkles? Long-term effects of smoking include dry skin, uneven skin pigmentation, and deeper facial wrinkles and furrows. Wonder how? Smoking leads to the breakdown of elastic fibres in the skin, narrowing of blood vessels, wetland reduced levels of vitamin A in the skin. Want to look good and feel good too right? The way out to help protect your skin and overall health is quitting! It wouldn’t harm to meet a doctor and take some advice on ways to quit!
- Treat your skin gently
Daily skincare routines would end up taking a toll on your skin. Possible solutions:
- Limit bath time and avoid hot water as far as possible. Long hot water showers or baths end up removing oils from your skin
- Soaps, face & body washes. Choose mild ones suitable for your skin.
- Shave carefully. Use mild shaving cream, lotion, or gel before shaving and a clean, sterilized, sharp razor. Shave within the direction of hair growth, not within the opposite.
- Pat dry. Surprised? Always, always pat dry with a soft towel. It helps to retain some moisture on the skin. Start today!
- Wear a sunscreen through the year, please
Simple! Rain or sun, indoors or out, work or party. Protecting skin from the sun is where your skincare routine starts with. Long exposures to sun lead to wrinkles, age spots, and other skin problems. There are possibilities of getting skin cancer too.
For more complete sun protection here is what you need to do:
- Use sunscreen. For starters, look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or more and water-resistant like the Kailon Sun Shield SPF 40. Apply sunscreen generously as you start your day reapplying every two hours — or more often if you're outdoors.
- Look for cover. Sun rays are probably the harshest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Try avoiding direct exposure!
- Wear suitable clothing. While staying comfortable, look to cover your skin with full-sleeved shirts & long pants. Keep sunglasses, hats, and umbrellas handy
- Cleanse & moisturize: quick, easy & simple!
Another key element in the healthy skin tips for face & skin routine is the cleanse & moisturise regimen – day and night! The ideal time to do it in the morning would be to cleanse during the shower and moisturise as you come out. In the evening you can follow it before stepping out or just before going to bed. Ideally apply the moisturizer when your skin is still a bit wet.
Bonus Tip: Consult a skincare expert!
Last but not least. While there is enough information on the internet, it’s always good to pay the expert a visit, especially if you are just about to begin your skincare journey. If not anything you can always get reassurance on the challenges and the solutions you have found for yourself! You also have the option of getting an online skin analysis, free to help find your #thehappinessformula!
All set to go out and face the world looking and feeling at your confident best? That’s great! Like we said right at the start these simple changes or additions listed about will bring a huge amount of difference to the way you look and feel. Just remember, do a proper research to understand what your skin needs and look for the products that suit your skin not what your friends and peers are using. And once done, follow the routine advised judiciously for the results that you are hoping to achieve. Keep your skincare routine simple, minimal & consistent! All the best!