7 Essential Skincare Habits
Everyone wants to look and feel beautiful. This can be achieved by taking care of your skin. As you probably know, healthy skincare habits can go a long way in keeping your skin healthy, young-looking, and ultimately gorgeous. Skincare doesn't have to cost you a lot of money either. Some of the practices you can learn here don't cost anything. The number one reason for this is that nobody knows your skin as much as you do.
Good skincare is a life-long commitment. It's not something you can take up and then drop when you feel like it. Skincare is important, something we all have to do if we want to be looking our best and our most healthy every day of the year. What are the good skincare habits that you can practice daily? If you're having trouble getting healthy skin or find yourself confused with conflicting advice, this post is for you.
Here are 7 healthy skincare habits that should help you achieve clearer, smoother, and healthier skin:
- Don't touch your face. It sounds like a bit of a no-brainer, but not touching your face is essential for clear skin. So many people have a nasty habit of resting their chin on their hand, scratching their face, and picking at spots, but all this does is transfer bacteria to your skin and cause breakouts. The best advice is to keep hands away from the face altogether.
- Cleanse morning and night. Perspiration, especially when wearing a hat or helmet, irritates the skin. A good cleanser should remove dirt, oil, and other impurities without stripping the skin of its natural oils. We recommend using a gentle foaming cleanser (isn't it more fun to foam?) that contains an emollient like glycerine to hydrate your skin as it cleanses. Always cleanse in the evening to remove the day's grime, sweat, and pollutants.
- Exfoliating is a must. Exfoliating removes dead skin cells from the surface of the epidermis and encourages cell turnover, which helps the skin appear brighter and more radiant. Daily exfoliation can also help prevent clogged pores, especially if you have oily or combination skin.
- Toner isn't optional. This is one skincare step that many people skip in the interest of time or convenience, but we have a few reasons why you shouldn't. First, toner helps remove any remaining residue from your cleanser or makeup that your cleanser may not have entirely removed. Second, toners can help brighten the skin and smoothen rough texture with ingredients like witch hazel and alpha hydroxyl acids (AHAs). And third, they help nourish the skin by balancing its pH and preparing it for moisturizer.
- Use gentle products. A cleanser labelled "oil-free," "non-comedogenic" (won't clog pores), or "hypoallergenic" won't strip essential oils from your skin or cause breakouts or irritation. Avoid products containing alcohol, benzoyl peroxide, and salicylic acid, which can dry out or irritate your skin.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Use sunscreen every day and often reapply if you'll be outdoors for more than 30 minutes. Sun damage can cause wrinkles, age spots, and even cancer — it's the leading cause of premature aging of the skin! Be sure to apply sunscreen at least 20 minutes before going outside since sunscreens take time. Wear suitable clothing. While staying comfortable, look to cover your skin with full-sleeved shirts & long pants. Keep sunglasses, hats, and umbrellas handy.
- Getting a good night's sleep is essential for skincare as it boosts your body's natural repair process and promotes collagen production. This can help you keep a youthful appearance and stop your skin from looking tired and dull. You should aim to get at least 6-8 hours of good quality sleep each night, which will allow your body's natural night-time routine to work its magic.
Skincare is by and large one of the few areas where you can't get away with being lazy. Perhaps the best way to achieve great skin is to focus on small routines that include multiple preventative skincare habits. As mentioned above, gentle skincare seems key to preventing breakouts and maintaining healthy, glowy skin. Lastly, remember to take care of your skin after cleansing: moisturize and consume plenty of water.
At Kailon, we understand the importance of maintaining a good skincare routine. Our team of experienced skincare professionals can help you create the perfect recipe for your skin by answering a simple questionnaire specifically designed to find the best ingredients and formulas for you. Once completed, our experts process your answers to determine a unique recipe tailor-made for you. To know more, click here.